Saturday, November 16, 2013

Sabbath Sunday #13: Making the Sad Glad

Fr. Christian Mathis (Blessed Is the Kingdom) has made the suggestion that we "rest" on the Sabbath by taking a break from our normal blogging and sharing an older post of which we are particularly fond. Rest? Gladly! I don't get to do that very often, but now, thanks to Fr. Christian, I get to do it at least once a week -- and it gives me more time to spend with God, which is a wonderful gift.

This week has been a sorrowful one. Fr. Barry, my confidante and de facto spiritual advisor, especially when it comes to the mystical experiences I sometimes have, is moving to be chaplain at a retirement community for clerics about an hour away. The positive side is that it is not that far; the down side is that the road between here and there is very winding, sometimes not easily passable, up and down and around through mountains. Still, it could have been Arizona and not California! This week, also, as we were planning a good-bye dinner for a colleague from Jordan together with Fr. Ed, he got called home to Ireland where his mother is seriously ill. The last note I received from him said that he expected to be there for at least another ten days -- and then today I heard that the doctors do not expect his mother to recover. Please pray for him and for his mother -- and for Fr. Barry, too, who is 80+ years old, as he makes this new transition. By comparison, my minor problems with backpack disappearance and reappearance and firing of a friend -- both fraught with temptations for frustration -- were only small potholes on the road.

Now, for that post, I chose one where I had a far more frustrating day/week: Justice or Mercy? I am happy to report that dilemma was resolved within a few days: What a Wonderful Day It was! (Yeah, the latter posting came from last week's Sabbath Sunday -- more than one dilemma was taken care of by that one day. It is amazing how time itself and God over time can turn our big problems into little ones and then turn our little ones inside out, making the sad glad.

Have a blessed Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment