Friday, October 11, 2013

Monday Morning Meditation #1: And God Saw That It Was Good

Where better to start a meditation series called Monday Morning Meditation than at the beginning? That was the question that posed itself when I began thinking about where I should look for the first posting in the series. So, figuring that there is nothing more "at the beginning" than Genesis, I shall take the first chapter of Genesis.

Reading: Genesis 1: 1-31

Meditation: In reading this chapter, the first thing that leaps out at me are the words, "And God saw that it was good." Those words repeat over and over. What that means to me is that everything we have is good. The world is good. Most important, we are good. While sometimes our lives look dark, dangerous, and depressing, that is only on the surface and from our limited ability to understand our world. We should rejoice, rather than ever thinking about ourselves in negative terms. There is no reason for low self-esteem if God found everything He made "very good." Nor should we find other people "bad" if God has found them good. We need to see the God-seed in them and love them, no matter how we would really like to judge them! Where we or the world is not good is where we/mankind have made it not good. These words also mean to me that everything in this world that God found good -- the people, the animals, the environment -- we are beholden to do everything we can to keep good.

And that is far as I can go with you on this Monday morning. I will now retire to prayer (to thank God for all the goodness that He has put into the world and into my life and into the people around me) and contemplation and will let you do the same.

If you pick this up as a weekly devotional activity, please share with me and others your own experiences in doing so. What words did you choose for meditation? What insights did you have? What have you been given to understand that would be appropriate to share and from which we might all benefit?

Have a good day and a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment