Thursday, August 23, 2012

An Unplanned Life


As I was ordering my box lunch for a conference I was attending in Washington DC earlier today, it hit me that my life is terribly unplanned. (Why it did not hit me years before, I don't know. I guess I have been too busy planning unplanned things to realize that I have absolutely no routine in my life.)

Take this week for example: Monday and Wednesday, I mostly sat on a plane. No exercise. Meals at strange times. Tuesday I walked for an hour after work with a colleague -- in Anchorage, Alaska. We forgot to eat. (Not that I need food all that much, mind you.) Today, I rode buses all around DC to and from the conference; Starbucks for breakfast -- the only thing open during the early hours when I had to leave in the morning for the conference -- and box lunch; no dinner and no exercise except chair pressing.

Even routine medications are not routine. If I am supposed to take a medication every morning, what happens when morning where I am (some place in the world) is a different time from morning in California. Do I stay on Cali time for the meds, which might mean 2 a.m. in some cases, or do I match the med times to the time zone I am in? I'm not asking for an answer; even my doctor doesn't know!

Well, there is a good deal of advantage to not being able to plan my life. Most of it gets left in God's hand, and while there may not be routine, there is certainly value and interest. And, to think about it, I don't have to worry about anything because I am not the one doing the planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment